By FutureLaw Desk
The National Center for State Courts (NCSC) is inviting applications from qualified candidates with a proven commitment to the Rule of Law and access to justice for the position of Legal Assistant. The position is funded under NCSC`s current program Countering Terrorism through a Strengthened Rule of Law Framework in Bangladesh, funded by the U.S. Department of State.
Application Deadline : October 8, 2018
- The position reports to the Chief of Party and is part of a five-person Legal Team. The position is Dhaka-based with periodic travel to other Districts in Bangladesh. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as legal researcher and analyst for project activities, as assigned, and prepare research summaries, overviews of laws, and other memoranda and correspondence on relevant legal matters.
- Assist in the design, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of activities in Dhaka and in pilot Districts.
- Assist in the planning of training, workshops, meetings, and other activities, including scheduling meetings, inviting participants, and preparing materials.
- Assist with the planning and monitoring of activities in the program’s target Districts, including regular contact with counterparts and field visits.
- Work with relevant counterparts, committees, and working groups to implement program activities in accordance with the work plan, implementation schedule, and Monitoring & Evaluation plan.
- Attend, participate in, and/or report on formal and informal meetings with counterparts, including, but not limited to the MOLJPA, JATI, the Supreme Court, District Courts, Special Tribunals, and University Law Faculties.
- Provide verbal and written English/Bangla translation, as needed.
- University degree in law.
- At least 1 year(s)
- At least one year of experience as Legal Intern or Legal Assistant/Associate, preferably working on donor-funded legal or judicial strengthening projects in Bangladesh.
- Knowledge of organizational and procedural laws regulating the Bangladeshi judiciary.
- Prior experience working with MOLJPA, JATI, the Supreme Court, the Bangladeshi judiciary, and/or other justice sector institutions preferred.
- Strong research background and demonstrated experience preparing legal documents, memoranda, and reports.
- Strong organizational skills, rigorous attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities needed to perform effectively in a demanding position.
- Demonstrated interest in judicial reform, capacity building, and improving the ability of courts, judges, and judicial staff to improve efficiency and accessibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to achieve complex results under strict deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics, transparency, and accountability in program implementation.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Bangla composing skills, internet navigation, etc.).
- Excellent spoken and written English and Bangla.
The position is an entry level position. Recent graduates with internship experience are encouraged to apply. NCSC is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted in English by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Legal Assistant” in the subject heading. Applications must be submitted no later than 16:00 on 8 October 2018. Applications must include (1) a detailed CV with all previous employment history, (2) a cover letter, (3) the completed Professional History Form with contact information, salary history, and at least two professional references, and (4) a writing sample, in English, not to exceed five pages. The Professional History Form is available HERE. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Attempts to influence the hiring process will result in automatic disqualifications. Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline : October 8, 2018