By FutureLaw Desk
Save the Children (SC) is a leading organization to ensure children’s development, betterment and growth since 1919 and having presence in more than 120 countries of the world. Save the Children began working in Bangladesh during the cyclone of 1970 and since then has been working for development and humanitarian contexts. Save the Children is currently programming across 26 locations in Ukhia and Teknaf Upazilas in Cox’s Bazar district, working across seven sectors of Child Protection, Education, Shelter, Health, Nutrition, WASH, and NFIs/Food distribution under Rohingya Response program.
Save the Children is now looking for applications from suitable candidates for the position of Legal Consultant at the Rohingya Response Program.
- The legal consultant’s main objective is to provide assistance in land-related legal matters and to advise in legal documentation, verifications, negotiations, contracts, case management etc.
- This professional is responsible for defending the rights and the legitimate interests of SCI.
- He/she is responsible for drafting and reviewing the legal filings and drafting technically correct opinions.
- The legal consultant may work in different areas (including but not limited to Ukhia and Teknaf) and the duties of this professional will differ accordingly and as per the needs of the client, party or the organization he/she is working for.
Key Areas and Accountability:
- Collect all relevant legal ownership documents of concerned land or property
- Verify the registration and validity of all relevant legal ownership documents of concerned land or property from the local legal offices
- Thoroughly check all the relevant legal documents and ensure they meet the SCI requirements for signing deed agreement
- Draft and review the deed agreements before signing and ensure that SCI’s rights and interests are protected
- Provide other legal advice as and when requested
The legal consultant, in addition to the above responsibilities,
- Is involved in drafting and reviewing agreements, producing technically accurate quality standard work, drafting technically correct opinions and the review and verification of land documents.
- He/she needs to interpret and apply theoretical legal knowledge so that it applies to practical solutions.
- He/she needs to prioritize work so that the deadlines can be met and is responsible for gathering the relevant information and verifying them from various resources by using relevant contacts.
- He/she will be a good communicator with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- He/she collects/prepares all the legal documents and ensures that they are being submitted to the relevant authorities.
- He/she will be able to independently follow up on pending tasks and approvals. He/she is involved in the management of resolution of disputes.
- Thus, he/she needs to handle a wide range of duties.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- The individual interested in entering this field should be technically proficient in legal matters related to land and property, and should have in-depth knowledge of the local legal environment as well.
- He/she should have strong communication skills and should be able to work independently.
- He/she should be able to convey complex information in a simple way and make sure that the presented information is precise.
- He/she should have a strong sense of attention to detail and should be able to complete the given tasks and requests promptly and accurately.
- He/she should be able to demonstrate a high level of diplomacy, motivation, and tact while carrying out his/her duties.
- He/she should be updated with the current local land laws and should be able to interpret and implement them in the right situations.
- A strong command of English is a plus.
- A degree in law from an accredited university or college.
- A master’s or a doctoral degree in the relevant area would prove to an advantage.
- The individual having experience in handling diverse land legal issues along with the latest knowledge of the various changes happening in the legal field would be an added advantage.
- 5 years hands-on experience of dealing legal issues as well as sound knowledge of local land laws is highly required. Familiarity with local context will get preference.
Interested individual consultants are requested to submit their detailed CV along with a Cover letter. Please also include daily/hourly rate along with the proven experience of conducting the similar type of consultancy services and TIN certificate copy to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application closing date: June 2, 2018