The National Center for State Courts (NCSC) is inviting applications from qualified candidates with a proven commitment to the rule of law and access to justice for the position of Legal Program Assistant under the “Justice for All” Program in Bangladesh funded by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs. The “Justice for All” Program is a two-year program that seeks to improve the delivery of legal aid services, increase judicial self-governance, and increase citizen awareness of legal rights and responsibilities.
The position is an entry-level position. Recent graduates with only internship experience are encouraged to apply.
The position reports to the Chief of Party. The position is Dhaka-based with frequent travel within Bangladesh. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist program implementation under the “Justice for All” Program’s activities to improve the delivery of legal aid services to the public and increase the self-governance of the judiciary to better serve the public.
- Assist program implementation under the “Justice for All” Program’s initiatives to conduct professional development and outreach activities for law students and young legal professionals.
- Serve as a legal researcher and analyst for project activities, as assigned, and prepare research summaries, overviews of laws, and other memoranda and correspondence on relevant legal matters.
- Assist in the design, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of activities to strengthen the delivery of legal aid and judicial services.
- Assist in the planning of training, workshops, meetings, and other activities under Objectives 1 (Training and Evaluation) and 3 (Public Awareness and Outreach) of the Program.
- Work with relevant counterparts, committees, and working groups to implement program activities in accordance with the work plan, implementation schedule, and performance monitoring plan.
- Attend, participate in, and/or report on formal and informal meetings with counterparts, including, but not limited to the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, the National Legal Aid Services Organization, and District Legal Aid Committees.
- Provide verbal and written English/Bangla translation, as needed.
- Do such other tasks as assigned by the Chief of Party from time to time.
- University degree in law.
- At least one year of experience as a Legal Intern/Assistant, preferably working on legal or judicial strengthening projects in Bangladesh.
- Knowledge of organizational and procedural laws regulating the Bangladeshi judiciary and government legal aid services.
- Prior experience working with the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, and/or the Bangladeshi judiciary preferred.
- Strong research background and demonstrated experience preparing legal documents, memoranda, and reports.
- Strong organizational skills, rigorous attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities needed to perform effectively in a demanding position.
- Demonstrated interest in judicial reform, access to justice, and legal aid services for the poor.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to achieve complex results under strict deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics, transparency, and accountability in program implementation.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Bangla composing skills, internet navigation, etc.).
- Excellent spoken and written English and Bangla.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted in English by email to email@example.com with “Legal Program Assistant” in the subject heading. Applications must be submitted no later than 17:00 on 7 November 2019. Applications must include (1) a detailed CV with all previous employment history, (2) a cover letter, (3) the completed Professional History Form with contact information, salary history, and at least two professional references, and (4) a writing sample, in English, not to exceed five pages. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Attempts to influence the hiring process will result in automatic disqualifications. Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.